Sunday, July 30, 2006

0-1 month

First Days Home
Home visitors (brought food)- Chris Van Heerde, Lee and Rachel Epperson, Annie Gipson, Jennifer Zaccagni, Patti and fam, Chris and Rebekah Georges, Jesus and Suzie Rocha, Gileos, Eleazers, Rich and Cheryl Gochis, Jeff Kleck, Jill Peavey, Rozlyn Wurtz, Peggy and Kay Portillo. Other visitors include- Snodgrass, Mannings, Dyers.
Rachel was born on a Sunday. Mom and Dad stayed here at the house for the first night, but had to leave in the morning. Nan stayed until Thursday. Nan was a lot of help. She got Rachel to take a pacifier, and she stopped her from crying several times too. I was able to rest more because Nan was there. The Forth of July and Aaron’s birthday were quite uneventful. I gave Aaron an IPod.
Emily and Tim came Wednesday night and left Friday morning (July 6-8). Tim took the most adorable pictures of Rachel, and I will cherish them forever (5 days old). She didn’t cry the whole hour and a half, but peed 4 times on me, Aaron, the changing table and Aaron’s leather chair! Tim and Emily were fascinated with her. Rachel’s expressions were sleepy and serious.
Mom returned Friday morning and spent another week with me. Mom wanted to be here on Saturday so that Aaron and I could have an Anniversary date. Aaron and I went to Texas Land and Cattle steak house for our 6th year anniversary and it was my first time away from the baby. It was so nice to get out of the house for a while.
One of Rachel’s favorite things to look at is Grandmommy’s quilt that hangs on the wall in our guest room. She loves all the colors and shapes. When she was concentrating on a face or object her eyes would cross…so hilarious! Rachel always opens her eyes really wide and pushes her eyebrows down for a very humorous facial expression. Amber really thinks it is funny. Aaron enjoys calling her Yoda!!! His other favorite nickname for her is Kuvahmach- Star Trek reference. Aaron is so helpful. He can’t get enough of her. He changes most of her diapers and is good at soothing her.
In the beginning (the first two weeks), I felt very distant from Rachel. It was so hard to believe that she came from my stomach. She didn’t seem to know me …or I her, at all. The longer I am with her, the more I know and love her. Now, it is hard to imagine my life without her. She seems to know (now at 4 weeks old) that I am the one who feeds her…and that is good enough for me! I learn more and more about her everyday. Strangely enough, when Mom left and Aaron went to work, Rachel and I started to really bond. Even though it was hard, it helped to have her all to myself and take care of her. My confidence grew in these weeks (2 - 4weeks). I had never changed a diaper before Rachel!
Last night, I was thrilled, because she slept for 5 hours…halleluia! Ever since she was born, she has struggled with belly aches. I feel so sorry for her and helpless because I can’t always fix it. The doctor told me not to eat or drink dairy products, and so we will see if that helps…weird, I know. I was thankful that I was able to breastfeed Rachel. She latched on very aggressively the first time, but wanted to eat all the time which made me incredibly sore. Tears streamed down my face at times, but I’m a pro now!
We have tried everything to make her feel better. At just 3 weeks old, she will not allow you to bend her over to burp her. She stiffens out her legs to stand instead (3weeks-4 mos). She is obviously very uncomfortable. She hates the swing and must be held at all times. Aaron and I found that bouncing on the exercise ball while cradling her helps, but nothing is as magical as the blow-dryer! We discovered that the constant sound of the blow-dryer soothes her and stops her from crying almost instantly (2 weeks old). Whatever WORKS! The doctor has advised us not to expose her to public places until she is six weeks old. She loves car rides so Aaron, and I go on dates to Sonic. Two birds with one stone.

No comments: