Tuesday, July 4, 2006

LABOR!

I was scheduled to be induced at 9:00am on July 2nd- one week after due date…Finally! However, I went into natural labor at midnight. I thought I was having braxton-hicks contractions, so I got in the bathtub hoping to relax those muscles. I was counting on having a restful night before I would be in the hospital for several days, but that didn’t happen. After being in the bathtub for 45 minutes, I started to think my contractions might actually be labor. I woke up Aaron and he held my hand while he continued to be half asleep. As I continued to moan, Aaron realized that my pain was increasing and soon was giving me full attention. He started looking at the clock to time my contractions and they were only five minutes apart. Aaron insisted that we go to the hospital and kept trying to convince me. I kept thinking the contractions would stop or just go away. I didn’t want to have a “false alarm,” but as the pain increased, I was CONVINCED…we needed to go! As Aaron loaded up our pre-packed bag, I went to the guest room and woke up Mom and Nan. Mom was totally out and it took a few shakes to wake her, then she jumped and was worried something was wrong. I said “Its time!” They threw on some clothes and we were off to the hospital. Aaron drove Mom’s Durango. Nan rode in the front seat and Mom rode in the back with me. I was doubled over and Mom felt helpless. Aaron was speeding and trying to time my contractions at the same time. Mom was irritated that he wasn’t going slower over the bumps, but Aaron was gonna get me their FAST! My contractions were 2 minutes apart. The pain was unbearable. We arrived at the hospital around 2:00am. I kept asking when I could get my epidural. I had to wait until a full bag of fluid had gone though my ivy. The anesthesiologist walked through the door at around 3:00am, and I have never been so happy to see anyone in my whole life! At this time, they checked me and I was dilated 8 centimeters. I was not scared to get the shot, just trying to be as still as possible. Once the epidural kicked in things slowed down dramatically. I felt so good. I had not felt that good in MONTHS! Aaron encouraged me to rest and sleep, so that I could have energy later when the baby was born. So I did. Mom called the family. Amber and Jeremy drove down from Leander and arrived at about 4:30am. I was so happy about that. When Daddy got the news, he hopped on his motorcycle and drove all the way down here. He said he froze towards the end of the trip because it started to drizzle. He made good timing (of course) and tried out his new DVD player that he mounted on the bike! That’s my Daddy! He made it just in time to see me right before I started to push at 8:15am. My doctor was busy with another patient, so the nurse coached me through the pushing. Aaron was on one side and Mom was on the other. It felt like I pushed forever with little progress. Aaron counted to 10 each time and was intensely encouraging me. Then, all the sudden, Rachel’s head popped out. The nursed was visibly panicked as she yelled “OK, STOP PUSHING!” Luckily the doctor had just walked in the room and was putting on her rubber gloves. Dr. Beciero coached me through the last few pushes and soon was holding Rachel in her hands-born at 9:10am. She commented on Rachel’s size and was sure she was a 9 pounder. Aaron cut the umbilical cord and they quickly cleaned her and bundled her up. My epidural had worn off quite a bit and the doctor had to give me local anesthesia for the stitches. No wonder it hurt so bad! Rachel weighed 8lbs 4oz and was 19inches long. I was in labor for 9 hours. I couldn’t wait to hold her. I could not believe how beautiful she was. The nurses bundled her up like a burrito, and she was content. I was so happy to FINALLY have her in my arms. Many people visited and we all went home the next day (Monday morning).
• Hopital visitors- Mom and Daddy, Nan, Amber and Jeremy, Lisa Arnold, Suzie and Jesus Rocha, Lee and Rachel Epperson, Patti Ted and Kelsey, Jennifer Zaccagni and Amanda Herring

No comments: